• Fruitvale School & Community Hall

  • One of our Sun City Lincoln Hills Garden Groups’ community service projects is light gardening at the Fruitvale Community Hall about seven miles northeast of the city of Lincoln.

    The Fruitvale Community Hall, also known as Fruitvale School, was one of the original country schools in the western part of Placer County. It was built in the late 1880s as a one room school serving the farm families with as many as twenty students attending it. With additions in 1912 and in 1927, the school remained open until 1946 when the district merged with the Lincoln School District, and the children were transported to Lincoln Elementary School. Today the property is a community center providing a venue for educational and agricultural programs including a third-grade Living History Program, community meetings, special family events, an after-school program for children during the school year, and a day camp during the summer months.

    Members of the Lincoln Hills garden group plan work parties three or four times a year to help maintain the grounds at Fruitvale School. Work Party activities have included planting rose bushes and a variety of bulbs and iris, weeding, pruning roses, and general garden clean-up.

    For more information go to: http://www.fruitvaleschool.org